Saturday, July 3, 2010

Korn : MTV Unplugged

Some Unplugged sessions are just kinda so-so. Korn unfortunately fall into this category for me. I don't really get any excitement from this recording, nor does it hold my attention. The first 4 tracks are so slow you'll go looking for a pillow. The cover of Radiohead's "Creep" is, meh. Robert Smith from The Cure doing back-up vocals on "Make Me Bad". Er, doesn't really work for me. Amy Lee doing backup kinda works, but didn't really grab me. The plus side of all this is the bass lines still hold up and the final track "Throw Me Away" comes together nicely.

Korn is a band with a brutal sound, so an unplugged session, though not out of the question, seems an odd choice. I know Pearl Jam pulled it off, as did Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, R.E.M. etc. But what Korn lacks that these bands had, were the under-writing of riffs that can translate well acoustically. Let's face it, plugged in they rock. Unplugged. It's sleepy time.

For fans of the band though, this is a totally different way to experience Korn and could be a real treat. I've always been on the fence with Korn so I can't speak for the hardcore fans on this one. As a casual listener, it ranks up there with soothing ocean sounds, John Tesh & Yanni

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Korn doesn't sound like themselves unplugged. The sound is just not right somehow.

    ReplyDelete